Writing Tasks for Your EFL Lessons
Academic and journalistic texts
- Comment: Comment on … !
- Report: Write a report about … !
- Argumentative essay: Write an argumentative essay about … !
- Philosophical essay: Write a philosophical essay about … !
- Summary: Write a summary of … !
- Interview: Collect questions for an interview with … !
- Review: Write a review about … !
- Editorial: Write an editorial / op-ed for … !
- Definitions: Write down a definition for … !
- Characterization: Characterize … !
- Analysis: Analyse … !
- Interpretation: Interpret … !
- Portrait: Write a vivid journalistic portrait of … !
- Headlines: Write the headlines for today’s / tomorrow’s papers!
Texts for games and puzzles
- Activity Cards: Create a set of activity cards for … !
- Brain teasers: Create a brain teaser for … !
- Dilemma story: Write down a dilemma story about … !
- Crosswords Clues: Create a crossword and write your own clues!
- Horoscope: Cast a horoscope for … !
- Jokes: Write down a joke about … !
- Quiz questions: Write down quiz questions about … !
- Mystery story: Create a mystery story and read it out!
Online texts and digital media
- Blog: Write blog entry about … !
- Forum entry: Open up a new thread about … in …’s online forum / newsgroup!
- Social networks: Write a text for a social network campaign and … !
- Fake news: Create an illustrated text about a fake event and publish it on … !
- E-mail: Write an e-mail to … !
- Short message: Write a short message to … !
Creative writing in general
- Visual input: Look at this painting and … ! Draw a picture of … and write …!
- Observation: Sit down n / at / near … and write down what … !
- Auditive input: Listen to this song and … !
- Imaginary journey: Write a text for a guided imagery program that takes you to … !
- Parody: Write a parody of … !
- Transformation: Rewrite this text in a different genre!
- Acrostic: Arrange the letters of a word vertically. Then, use every letter as the beginning of a poetic line!
- Sonnet: Write a Petrarchan / Shakespearean sonnet!
- Haiku: Write a haiku!
- Visual poem: Write a visual poem / carmen figuratum / concrete poem in the shape of … !
- Song lyrics: Listen to … and add some (new) lyrics!
- Prayer: Write a prayer / religious hymn and include … !
- Nursery rhyme / lullaby: Create a nursery rhyme or a lullaby and see if it works!
- Dialogue: Write a dialogue between … and … !
- Dramatic monologue: Write a soliloquy for … about … !
- Dramatis personae: Write a dramatis personae for your own play about …!
- Dialogue completion: Complete this dialogue by filling in ... / by adding … !
- Fairy tale: Write a fairy tale! Use the motif of …!
- Short story: Write a short story about … !
- Fable: Write a fable! The message should be “…” !
- Memoirs: Write an excerpt from the memoirs of … !
- Ghost story: Write a ghost story! Use … for inspiration!
- Four items story: Write a story that includes … !
- Tall tale: Write a tall tale about … !
- Story completion: Add an (alternative) ending to … !
- Urban legend: Create your own urban legend!
- Anecdote: Write down a (fictional) anecdote from the life of … !
- Diary entry: Write a diary entry about … !
- Travelogue: Write a report about your journey to … !
Media: Film, audioplay and others
- Film script: Write a script for a film / short film / soap opera about… !
- Audioplay: Create a script for an audiplay based on … !
- Cinematic review: Write a film reviews about “ … “!
- Storyboard: Create a storyboard for scene no. … !
- Recorded message: Write a recorded message for …’s answering machine!
- Roomdescription: Describe your bedroom / this classroom!
- Picture description: Describe the picture you can see in … / on the bottom left … / on page 7!
- Animal / plant description: Describe this animal!
- Technical description: Describe this gadget / device!
- Instructions: Write down instructions for … !
- Recipe (baking or cooking recipe): Write down how to make … !
- Manual: Create a short manual for … !
- Game instructions: Create a book of rules for … !
- Party platform: You have founded a political movement. Lay down your ideas in a party program!
- Curriculum vitae: Write a CV for … !
- Memorandum: Write your own memo about … !
- Blurb: Write a blurb for … !
- Questionnaire: Design a questionnaire about … !
- Lonely-hearts ad: Write a lonely hearts ad for … !
- Touristic brochure: Write a text for a tourist brochure and present …
- Bulletin board: Write a notice for the classroom’s bulletin board!
- Directions: How does one get from … to …? Write down the directions!
- Notice of loss. You’ve lost … . Write a notice of loss!
- Cheat sheet: Write a cheat sheet for a test about … !
- Lists: Create a shopping / bucket / birthday list … !
- Contract: Set up a contract with … about … !
Texts and visuals / Visual texts
- Comic Strip: Create a comic strip about … !
- Captions: Add captions to this series of pictures!
- Collage: Label the carious items in this collage!
- Comic Adaption: Use this cartoon to write a story!
- Calligram: Write a text whose shape reflects the topic!
- Scrapbook: Collect pictures about … and add your own comments!
- Flow chart: Create your own flow chart about … !
- Poster: Create a poster for … !
- Speech balloons: Fill in the speech balloons!
- Wanted poster: Create a wanted poster / a profile for …
Letters and Messages
- Letter of Complaint: Write a letter of complaint!
- Application letter: You’re applying for a position as … ! Write an application letter!
- Picture postcards: Write a picture postcard and send it to … !
- Messages for Classmates: Write a message your claassmates and inform them about …!
- Friendly letter: Write a letter to your pen pal / penfriend!
- Reply: Write a reply to …’s letter!
- Thank-you letter: Write a thank-you letter to … !
- Letter of condolences: An important person has passed away. Write a letter of condolences to …!
- Invitation letter: Write a letter to invite … to … !
- Letter of excuse: You can’t participate in … . Write a letter of excuse!
- Letter od apology: You’ve offended someone you actually like. Write a letter of apology!
- Love letter: Write a love letter to … ! Make it sound romantic!
- Birthday letter. It’s …’s birthday. Write as birthday letter!
- Dear John letter: A’s love affair with B is over. Write a Dear John letter to B from A’s point of view!
- Business letter: Write a formal letter to your business partner and … !
- Letter to an agony aunt: Write a letter about a fictional problem you have!
- Message in a bottle: Write a message and put it in a bottle for someone to find it!
- Letter of recommendation: Write a letter of recommendation for … !
- Speech: Write a political speech / toast / formal dinner speech / sermon!