A Chronology of Winnenden's Local History

1181

A document is signed by Gottfried of Winnenden – the oldest reference to Winnenden in an official document.

1210

30/4: Heinrich of Neuffen donates Leutkirch to the Monastery of Salem near Lake Constance, represented by Eberhard of Salem.

1211

Heinrich of Neuffen is sent on a diplomatic mission to the court of Frederick II. of Sicily. In the following year, he accompanies the Staufian emperor on his journey to the German part of the Empire. --- Probably due to Heinrich’s success as a diplomat, Winnenden is made a market town.

1228

Heinrich of Neuffen follows Frederick II. on his crusade to liberate Jerusalem.

1235

21/6: Bishop Henry of Constance defeats and captures Heinrich of Neuffen and his son Gottfried in the Erms Valley. --- 15.8.: After being outlawed at Mainz, Heinrich of Neuffen loses his political influence.

1262

Gottfried is mentioned in a document – the last reference to the Neuffian minstrel in literature.

1268

First reference to Bertold of Neuffen, later husband of Countess Richenza of Löwenstein.

1274

According to Crusius, Winnenden is now surrounded by a curtain wall.

1277

Luitgard marries Konrad of Weinsberg who now owns half of the town.

1279

Bertold of Neuffen and Richenza of Löwenstein are mentioned in an official document.

1284

21/3: Bertold exchanges property near Winnenden (Leutenbach, Hertmannsweiler) for property in Nürtingen.

1286

According to Börner, Johannes of Winnenden and a small group of horsemen come to assist Count Eberhard in his struggle to defend Stuttgart against Emperor Rudolf of Habsburg.

1288

5/1: Berthold of Neuffen donates part of his property near the Zipfelbach to the Teutonic Order, including the right to install a priest in the nearby parish church.

1291

28/1: Richenza, Berthold of Neuffen’s widow, donates six oxgangs of land near Allmersbach to the Teutonic Order. Komtur Heinrich of Bachenstein and several other friars move into the Deutsche Haus.

1297

9/9: Berthold is mentioned as Winnenden’s Leutpriester (a “Leutpriester” being a priest who does not belong to the Order).

1304

Birkmannsweiler is mentioned in an official document.

1312

Konrad of Weinsberg attacks the castle and city of Winnenden to punish Johannes of Winnenden who had previously sided with Count Eberhard.

1323

14/2: Winnenden is put into pawn by Konrad von Weinsberg.

1325

10/10: Winnenden is sold to Count Ulrich III. of Württemberg. It is now part of Württemberg.

1423

Winnenden and Hertmannsweiler make a contract with the Teutonic Order to settle conflicts on who is to pay a salary for the priest in the local parish.

1426

Hanweiler is mentioned in an official document.

1433

Mya, daughter of Konrad Schenk of Winnenden, is married to Johann of Höfingen.

1441

Ulrich V. of Württemberg inherits Winnenden.

1442

The castle and town of Winnenden are sold to Hans of Iberg.

1444

Mya Schenkin sells the Mönchswald near Birkmannsweiler to the Monastery of Bebenhausen. --- The Winnenden Mill at the Mühltor (Mill Gate) is mentioned in a document – it was situated near the Buchenbach and an artificial lake.

1464

Jörg of Haymertingen has Hanweiler’s Trombach Slope cleared of trees to make way for new vineyards.

1477

Jörg of Wollmershausen sells land to several farmers who intend to settle down near what is Hanweiler today.

1480

According to Börner, Master Martin is mentioned in a document as Winnenden’s first teacher.

1482

First evidence of the Deutsche Haus and a chaple near the Marktbrunnen (city well).

1484

4/12: Komtur Jörg Truchseß of Waldeck sells the Order’s house near the market to Reinhold of Gärtringen.

1485

Eberhard the Younger receives Winnenden and other property in compensation for giving up on his rights to the thrown of Württemberg.

1486

Jakob Schenk of Winnenden joins Count Eberhard the Bearded on his pilgrimage to Palestine.

1487

Burkhardt Schenk of Winnenden loses his fief of town and castle.

1489

Eberhard the Bearded occupies Winnenden and makes it a part of his own territory. --- The Yberger family sells the Oberbuchenbach near Bürg to Reeve Paul Wild of Winnenden.

1514

25/7: Peasants who have joined the Poor Conrad (a peasants’ revolt against Duke Ulrich of Württemberg) take Winnenden by force. --- 30/7: Troops near Waiblingen cause the rebellious peasants to surrender. --- 31/7: Winnenden’s peasants accept the conditions laid down in the Treaty of Tübingen.

1516

Georg of Bernhausen purchases the Buchenbachhof.

1519

7/4: The Swabian League defeats Duke Ulrich at Stuttgart and forces Winnenden to open their gates to Countess Sabina.

1520

The Altar of Saint James is reconstructed after it had been dismantled in fear of peasant revolts.

1524

First evidence of a wine press and chapel in Birkmannsweiler. --- Höfen is first mentioned in an official document.

1525

16/4: Bloody Easters: nobleman Wolfgang Rau of Winnenden is stabbed to death as a victim of the German Peasants War.

1526

Countess Sabina asks the imperial governor for support as the inhabitants of Winnenden build a new wall round the town.

1532

12.11.: Gertrud, a widow from Hertmannsweiler, is tried as witch and burned in Bottwar.

1534

Duke Ulrich returns to power in Württemberg. Countess Sabina leaves the country.

1537

A Siechenhaus (hospital) mentioned in the Vorstadt (suburb). --- After two years in Leonberg, Arsatius Seehofer is installed in Winnenden – he is the first Protestant clergyman in Winnenden. He publishes two theological works which are translated into German by Bilhuber (1734-1749).

1538

After long years of decay, Winnenden Castle is dismantled. Most stones are transported to Schorndorf, the keep of 69 feet (23 meters) has remained to the present day.

1540

In the struggles that accompany the Counter-Reformation, the Altar of St. James is dismantled again. --- The Beguines are transferred to a Third Order nunnery in Schorndorf.

1542

A letter by Martin Grüninger in which he asks the Duke for a pay raise indicates the presence of a teacher in Winnenden.

1544

Jacobus Epp becomes deacon and also assumes some teaching duties. --- A wine press house is added to the Buchenbachhof.

1546

31/12: Johannes Groß, the Protestant minister of Winnenden, leaves Winnenden to escape the Spanish troups of the Duke of Alba.

1549

The Altar in the parish church of St. James is reconstructed once again.

1550

21/12: Aegidius Hunnius is born in Winnenden. In his later life, he joins Luther in his efforts to spread the spirit of the Reformation.

1552

18/3: Polykarpus Lyser is born in Winnenden. As superintendent of the Schloßkirche of Wittenberg, he is a successor of Martin Luther. In 1587, Lyser marries Lukas Cranach’s daughter. --- Johann Ralatanus and Berhard Matteler are documented as teachers in Winnenden.

1553

Konrad Weik, who had previously been a Catholic priest, is appointed parish priest in Winnenden. --- Nicolaus Grötzinger is appointed preceptor in Winnenden.

1554

16/10: J. G. Sigwart, later a professor of theology in Tübingen, is born in Winnenden.

1555

12/1: Countess Sabina lets Winnenden to her son, Count Christoph. --- Komtur Jörg of Bellersheim complains to the Duke about costs the Order has come up for to provide food and shelter for Christoph’s hunting companies.

1557

Jacob Majer is now Winnenden’s schoolmaster.

1562

Jörg of Bellersheim has a wine press built at the Order’s properties near Hanweiler.

1566

14/11: Erasmus Grüninger is born in Winnenden. In his later life, he becomes an important adviser to the Duke and provost of the Protestant church in Württemberg.

1569

First evidence of a wine press in Breuningsweiler.

1584

The Buchenbachhof is sold (previously owned by the Bernhausen of Buchenbach family) to Melchior Jäger.

1585

The German Order give up their right to the tithe for the Buchenbachhof.

1587

After his voyage, Johann Jakob Breuning purchases the Buchenbachhof.

1594

Anna Susanna Breuning of the Buchenbachhof dies.

1603

St. Batholomew’s stock book is created (Hertmannsweiler).

1605

Pistorius publishes his hexameter chronicle of Winnenden history.

1607

Plague year. --- The Buchenbach Bridge near the Mühltor (mill gate) is built.

1608

Johann von Gleichen, Komtur of the Teutonic Order, is buried near the Altar of St. James. --- A “collaborator” is added to the “preceptor” to assist him with German studies and Latin studies for younger students.

1609

Joan Martinus Kornbekh is mentioned as Praeceptor (principal) of Winnenden’s Old School.

1610

Peter Frech becomes “collaborator” (assistant teacher).

1611

Bernhard Wilhelm of Schwalbach is appointed Komtur of the Teutonic Order.

1612

The peasants of Bretzenacker and Rettersburg get harassed by Breuning of Buchenbach. --- Breuning publishes his travelogue Die orientalische reyß in Straßburg. --- Duke Johann Friedrich of Württemberg prevents Wilhelm of Schwalbach, Commander of the Teutonic Order, from expanding and fortifying the Order’s property near the castle.

1616

Breuning, while still under attack by the city clerk Marx Walter for embezzling the Duke’s taxes and assumption of authority, is appointed chief reeve of Waiblingen.

1617

Georg Wieland is installed as Winnenden’s parish priest.

1619

A year after the Thirty Years’ War started, Winnenden fortifies its gate (particularly its gate tower) and restores the old walls.

1623

Hiernymus Jos is mentioned as principal of Winnenden’s former school in the Schulgasse near the Schwaikheim Gate.

1626

In a devastating year of bad harvest and famine, 1126 of Winnenden’s inhabitants die of the plague. On several days in July, 30 to 40 victims need to be buried. Winnenden loses 515, Hertmannsweiler 110, Birkmannsweiler 97, Hanweiler 52, Bürg 38, Höfen 34 and Breuningsweiler 27.

1628

Maria Schneider is tried for witchcraft and executed.

1630

Peter Braunhardt is Winnenden’s new “collaborator”,

1631

The Duke calls the men of Winnenden to arms. In what is commonly referred to as the “Cherry War” (since it happened in June), the ducal troups surrender to the imperial army led by Count Fürstenberg. --- 1/7: The imperial cavalry is given quarter in Winnenden.

1634

Parish priest Georg Wieland dies of the plague. After the Battle of Nördlingen, imperial troups destroy several places along the River Rems (including Korb) – Winnenden suffers from famine.

1635

Hanns Jakob Braunhardt is referred to in a document as Winnenden’s “teutscher Schulmeister” (german schoolmaster). --- 668 people in Winnenden starve to death or die of the plague.

1638

27/3: Winnenden is pillaged by imperial soldiers. They had previously retreated from a Swedish army of 1500 in Stuttgart.

1639

Parish priest Zacharias Greims dies of the plague.

1643

1/1: A French and Swedish force of 80 cavalrists attack Winnenden. The city is pillaged again and afterwards set on fire.

1645

April: Bavarian troups are cantoned in Winnenden.

1648

2/11: Once again, Winnenden is plundered by Swedish troups.

1656

Records show that Winnenden has lost 640 of its inhabitants and 602 buildings in the Thirty Years’ War. Several farmsteads are abandoned: a homestead near Schnarrenberg, the Stolpenhof, the Stuhlhof and the Siebenhof.

1659

The Buchenbachhof is sold by Hans Ernst Imhof from Kirchentellinsfurt to Johann Leonhardt Breitschwert.

1665

29/9: The Teutonic Order sells the castle and the entire commandry to Duke Eberhard III. of Württemberg. The price of 40.000 gulden includes the villages of Höfen and Hanweiler.

1667

24/6: Johann Albrecht Bengel is born. In his later career, he becomes a doctor of theology at Tübingen and a very productive writer,

1670

The Prinzenbrücke (Princes’ Bridge) across the Buchenbach is pulled down.

1671

The fountain near the castle is built.

1674

Prince Friedrich Karl is granted Winnenthal as an apanage by his father Eberhard III. The castle and the curtain walls are restored.

1675

Johannes Brand is installed as parish priest.

1681

Georg Walentin Waldeisen teaches in Winnenden.

1686

The Beginenhaus (House of the Beguines) next to the castle is mentioned in a topographical document.

1688

Right before the outbreak of the Nine Years’ War, the Duke has Winnenthal castle finished, including a great hall with ceiling paintings by Franz Ludwig Stauff of Luern (Switzerland). --- Winnenden’s new cemetery near the Upper Gate is created. --- The city cemetery is transferred from its former location near the castle to where it is now.

1693

Württemberg’s former duke, Friedrich Karl returns from France where he was held prisoner by King Louis XIV. His nephew Eberhard Ludwig being the new duke, Friedrich Karl and his spouse Juliana withdraw to Winnenthal. --- 24/7: French troups pillage Winnenden. 240 houses and two chapels are lost when the French set fire on all four corners of the city.

1695

The magistrate appoints Hans Georg Groß principal of the German School. Even after the Thirty Years’ War, schools are attended almost exclusively by boys – in winter, when there is hardly any other work to do.

1697

A group of notable citizens go on a journey to collect money for the restoration of the city. --- 11/12: Architect Johann Adam Groß the Elder born in Winnenden.

1698

30/12: Friedrich Karl dies in Winnenden.

1702

The Old Town Hall is completed. A pillory was installed facing the city well.

1704

The Upper Gate is restored after it was destroyed in the fire of 1693.

1707

On their arrival in Winnenden, French troups under General Villars find Winnenden mostly destroyed. Nonetheless, a war tax needs to be paid.

1711

The Buchenbachhof now belongs to Friedrich of Neipperg, the Duke’s field marshal.

1713

The former chapel of St. Bernhard is reconstructed as a new parish church.

1715

Winnenden (and the Beginenhaus) is mentioned in Kurze allgemeine Beschreibung des Landes Württemberg.

1717

Winnenden’s iconic dog, the Winnenden Pug, dies. This famous Winnenden pet dog was lost by its master Carl Alexander in the siege of Beograd and returned to Winnenden in a journey of 11 days.

1718

Winnenden’s magistrate decide to build a new schoolhouse, today’s Albert Bengel House.

1728

The Buchenbachhof is sold to Carl Alexander of Württemberg. --- 27/9: Johann Adam Groß the Younger, architect, is born in Winnenden.

1729

Until his unexpected death sets an end to his project, tradesman Jakob Bühner intends to build a large cellar and stone building.

1732

About 100 Austrian Protestants from Salzburg arrive in Winnenden on their way to Prussia. They had been expelled by Archbishop Firmian.

1733

An epitaph is created in honor of the Winnenden Pug. --- Hertmannsweiler’s new church is erected.

1735

Hanweiler is now part of Württemberg.

1738

Elisabeth Katharina Bühner and her husband Johannes Haber finish the impressive stone building which is nowadays calles the “Storchenhaus”.

1741

Höfen and Hanweiler submit a petition to the Duke to leave them their privileges as former property of the Teutonic Order.

1744

The city well is remodeled by Johann Adam Groß the Elder.

1748

Johann Adam Groß the Elder, one of the Duke’s leading architects, has his own house built at the Marktstraße.

1751

After it has burned down in the great fire of 1692, the mill is reconstructed by Johann Adam Groß the Elder.

1761

The half-timbered walls of the upper floors are faced in the course of renovation.

1778

Höfen’s Eckehardt Tower is erected.

1781

Winnenden’s first cattle market takes place at the Viehmarktplatz.

1785

11/11: Gottlob Müller, founder of the Methodist Church in Germany, is born in a building at the Mühltorstraße.

1796

The buildings of the Oberbuchenbach estate are sold to be demolished by their new owner.

1801

20/8: Heinrich Eduard von Kausler, later a renowned historian and linguist, is born in Winnenden.

1807

The Buchenbachhof is purchased by the Königliche Hofdomänenkammer.

1808

The “Amt Winnenden” becomes “Unteramt” (sub-district) of the “Oberamt” (district authority) Waiblingen.

1811

27/1: Christian Palm, later dean of theology at the University of Tübingen, is born in Winnenden.

1818

24/11: Friedrich Karl Schröder, in his later life a doctor of theology, is born in Winnenden.

1823

The Paulinenpflege (a special-care home for the handicapped) is founded by Friedrich Heim.

1827

The ground floor of the town hall is remodeled. --- 17/11: Winnenden’s most famous missionary and expert of the Tchi language, Johann Georg Christaller, is born in a building in the Brunnenstraße – right opposite the memorial tablet.

1829

A stone balcony is added to Winnenden’s town hall.

1830

The Buchenbachhof is sold after the wine press house has burnt down.

1831

The Upper Gate Tower is demolished to make way for a wider gate which supposedly existed until 1848.

1832

Winnenden’s first official building plan is created.

1833

The covered passageway from the Castle to St. James is pulled down.

1835

Large parts of the city’s curtain walls are sold to various private persons which included the right to tear it down. The remaining part which can still be visited was bought by the clothiers’ guild and used for drying of textiles.

1837

Hertmannsweiler is made a parish.

1839

21/7: Landscape painter Julius Kornbeck is born in the building at Marktstraße 81.

1841

Birkmannsweiler’s church St. Ulrich is built.

1843

1/3: The Heilanstalt Winnenthal (the local hospital for the mentally ill) is created in the building that used to be the castle before. Its first director is Albert Zeller (1804-1877).

1844

Austrian poet Nikolaus Lenau (i. e. Nikolaus Edler Niembsch von Strehlenau) is admitted to the Heilanstalt. --- The Kirchtörle (Church Gate) is demolished after the Schloßstraße has been built.

1845

The Latin School moves from its former location at Bengelplatz to the Schloßstraße.

1847

Another year of poor harvest and famine.

1848

March Rising (“German Revolution”): Winnenden’s first public newspaper and gymnastic club founded.

1849

Several citizens, among them parish priest Joseph Josenhans, collect money for Winnenden’s first nursery school and kindergarten.

1862

The city sells the mill building near the Mühltor to a private investor.

1864

Württemberg’s mail service is reformed: Birkmannsweiler is now connected to a system called “Ortsbotengang” (local messenger service).

1868

The Liedertafel (male choir) is founded.

1869

Winnenden’s Gewerbeverein (local trade association) is founded.

1870

A steeple is added to St. Ulrich (Birkmnannsweiler). --- 12/7: 9 buildings burn down in a great fire. --- 19/7: France declares war on the German Empire.

1871

After the water pipes have been renewed, Winnenden’s second city well near the main well on the market is filled up. --- 20/7: Psychiatrist Christian Wunderlich dies in Winnenden.

1872

The interior of the Schloßkirche is completely renewed. --- The Kriegerverein (veteran’sclub) is founded.

1876

Winnenden is connected to the Murrtal railroad.

1877

Innkeeper Bühler opens his private baths in the Schlossstraße.

1878

Ernst Zeller follows his father as the second director of the Heilanstalt Winnenthal.

1880

Massive loss of apple and plum trees in Winnenden’s orchards due to extreme frosts.

1881

A new water pipe is built (completed in 1884).

1883

The Methodist Jubilee Church is built.

1884

The New Schoolhouse is built in the Schlossstraße.

1896

Winnenden electrified. --- Winnenden’s fruit-growing society is established.

1897

A steam-operated brick manufactory is built near the station.

1888

After long discussions, Birkmannsweiler’s schoolhouse is built.

1889

Missionary Gauger from Winnenden dies in Cameroon.

1890

Communal sheep husbandry is abandoned.

1891

Winnenden’s fruit market is established.

1893

Winnenden’s Workers’ Club founded by Social Democrats.

1896

The contents of Winnenden’s latrines are collected in large pits along the Leutenbacher Straße.

1897

The new hospital in the Schorndorfer Straße is built.

1899

Colonel Adolf Schiel fights in the Boer War – he returns to Winnenden in 1903.

1901

Karl Haug from Winnenden participates in the expedition against the Boxer Rising. At the same time, Gottlieb Reusch serves as a missionary in China.

1904

1/4: Winnenden obtains its official city arms: an antler and a dice.

1905

Eger’s paper tube factory is founded.

1906

Winnenden’s new wine press near the Stadtgarten (city green) is erected.

1907

Hanweiler is now connected to Winnenden by a street. --- A section of the Deutsche Partei is established in Winnenden.

1908

Winnenden’s new public library is opened.

1909

First strawberries cultivated near Breuningsweiler. --- The Lämmle und Müllerschon printing company is established.

1910

The protestant City Church (formerly Chapel of St. Bernard) is restored by Martin Elsässer.

1911

The Kirchwiesen near the Zipfelbach are drained, the Zipfelbach is regulated.

1912

Birkmannsweiler’s town hall is built. .--- Höfen’s church is built by the Oelkrugs.

1922

Breuningsweiler becomes an independent parish.

1923

Winnenden Farmers Riot: a mob of angry farmers attacks the local police who escape into the town hall.

1928

Erwin Heilbronner builds an atelier on his Hanweiler property and establishes a small colony of artists there. In 1936 however, Heilbronner is declared a public enemy and escapes to Switzerland.

1933

While on their way to Schwaikheim, two Landjäger (local officers) are shot at by Jakob Füchsl, a run-away burglar – one of them dies of his injuries.

1934

Marie Huzel donates a large amount of money so that a new kindergarten can be built.

1936

Jewish cattle dealers are excluded from Winnenden’s cattle market.

1939

Kärcher moves to Winnenden.

1940

30/5-24/06: All Jewish patients of the Heilanstalt are sent to Grafeneck to be euthanized. --- The Schranne (right next to the town hall) is no longer in operation. --- The vineyards on the Schrannenberg are cleared.

1941

27/11: Jewish shoemaker Hermann Grünspan is deported – he had worked for the Grotz family in Birkmannsweiler.

1943

29/7: Having escaped the guillotine at Stuttgart where he is to be executed for the “undermining of military morale”, Karl Auchter suffers a major nervous breakdown and is afterwards transferred to the Heilanstalt.

1944

13/3.: Two Russian forced laborers (Aleksej P. Kruschinsky, Nikolaj M. Magerko) are hanged at the Hindenburg Oak in the Schelmenholzwald.

1945

20/4: American troups fire several grenades at Winnenden – 20 people die, among them Anna Hieber, who had helped to save the Jewish lawyer Dr. Robert Perlen and his wife. Several buildings, including the Magersche Apotheke and the City Church, are severely damaged or burn down altogether.

1953

Factory owner Ernst Spingler is made honorary citizen – later it turns out he has massively profited from forced labor.

1954

Dr. Robert Boehringer is appointed honorary citizen.

1958

As many Catholic refugees from Eastern Germany have settled down in Winnenden, a Catholic priest is installed.

1961

23/1: Winnenden is awarded its new official coat of arms.

1963

26/10: Winnenden’s new “Progymnasium” is opened – two years later, it will be attended by 300 students.

1964

Winnenden’s suburb Schelmenholz is created.

1968

At the new “Progymnasium”, 24 students pass the “Abitur” (final exams).

1969

Albertville and Winnenden become twin towns. --- After their son Björn has been killed in an accident, the Björn Steiger Stiftung e. V. is founded by Siegfried und Ute Steiger

1971

The first two communal kindergartens are installed in Schelmenholz (Körnle, Schafweide). --- The Heilanstalt is renamed as the Psychiatrische Landeskrankenhaus (PLK). --- Höfen is integrated into the district, as well as Baach, Bürg and Hertmannsweiler.

1972

Breuningsweiler and Hanweiler are now part of Winnenden.

1973

As a result of an administrative reform, Winnenden is made “Große Kreisstadt” (district town). --- Hermann Schwab is elected First Mayor.

1974

Birkmannsweiler joins the Winnenden district.

1978

Karl-Heinrich Lebherz is elected First Mayor.

1979

Sculptor Martin Kirstein remodels the octagonal trough of the city well.

1986

While the communal authorities move to the newly built administration building (New Town Hall, Neues Rathaus), the archive and the “Volkshochschule” (community college) remain in the old town hall.

1993

Santo Domingo de la Calzada and Winnenden become twin towns.

1994

Bernhard Fritz is elected First Mayor.

1996

The PLK is renamed again: Zentrum für Psychiatrie und Neurologie (ZfP).

2006

A bypass and tunnel are built to reduce the amount of inner-city traffic in Winnenden.

2009

11/3: Winnenden School Shooting: Tim K. from Leutenbach kills or injures several students, teachers, and police officers in Winnenden and Wendlingen.

2010

Hartmut Holzwarth is elected First Mayor.

2012

Winnenden’s new sustainable housing scheme, the Arkaden (popularly called “Toskana”) is completed.

2014

4/7: Winnenden’s new district hospital is opened.


Vorige Seite: Chronik Magstadts
Nächste Seite: Schwäbisches im Netz